Are you thinking of getting a privacy fence but not sure how tall it should be? Well, privacy fences come in different heights, and for a reason. The height of your fence depends on your goal. Mostly, residential areas have typical heights ranging from 3 feet to 6 feet. Let’s discuss this further.
Height Of Privacy Fence
The height of your ideal fence depends on your location, such as your front yard or backyard. Although local regulations may restrict the height of your fence, you still have options. While this is a common concern; however, it is not the only factor to consider when deciding on the size of your fence.
Other factors that affect the height of your fence include nearby roads and pathways, type of fence and materials, etc. The height of a fence is determined by its type and construction. If you want maximum safety and privacy, such as defining an estate or enhancing a garden, you may need to invest more.
Here’s a general overview of heights:
- Front Yard Fence – 3 Feet
- Vinyl Fence – 4 Feet
- Wood Fence – 6 Feet
- Chain Link Fence – 6 Feet
Choosing The Right Height
Before making a decision, you must go through the laws and regulations of your local authorities. Each official setup has its own rules regarding fence height and not just about the height itself. Other considerations may include:
- Distance from the property
- Your neighbors may need to agree to the installation of a fence.
- Pre-approval process of the fence design.
- Fencing should not restrict access to utilities or towns.
When selecting a design, do factor in the minimum requirements set by your town and the value it adds to your home. Moreover, ponder on maintenance costs because materials like wood or wrought iron may weather quickly.
Other Types of Fences
Apart from privacy fences, there are other types of fences available in the market with different functions:
- Garden Fences: They are built to keep pets and animals, and wild ones like deer, away from your flower or vegetable garden. They may be shorter than privacy fences to maintain a view of your beautiful garden while protecting it from wildlife.
- Dog Fences: The height of an animal fence depends on the size of your pet. For example, if you have a small dog, you might choose a lower fence than you would for a larger dog. However, if you want to keep larger animals from bothering your pets while they play in the yard, a higher fence may be best.